Saturday, December 21, 2013

Haley's Christmas Sugar Cookies

 This recipe comes from a co-worker's mom. So she should get the credit where credit is due. Thank you to Elaine and to her daughter Erin for sharing the recipe with me.

Via
 I forgot to take a close up picture of my cookies once they were fully decorated. Darn it! I borrowed what looked the most like my cookie from the worldwide web.



Ingredients for Cookies:

- 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar

- 1/2 Cup White Sugar

- 1/2 Cup Margarine

-1/2 Cup Canola Oil

- 1 Egg

- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla and Almond Extract

- 1/2 tsp. Salt, Baking Soda, Cream of Tartar (A type of sugar in the little blue and white box.)

- 2 Cup, 2 Tbsp. Flour

Ingredients for Icing:

- 3 Cups Icing Sugar

-1/4 Cup Milk

- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla

- Dash of Salt

*** If you already have a go- to icing that you use for cookies, use that instead. This is just a basic, nothing special icing I found. ***

Mix sugars, margarine, oil, egg and flavouring together.

Then add your dry ingredients. (Flour, baking soda, tartar, salt.) Mix together.

Chill the dough for TWO hours in the fridge. (This is a really annoying thing to overlook because I've done it when I was very ready to get started on making the cookies!)

  Throw flour over your work station so that the dough won't stick to the counter. Roll the dough into balls with your hands . . .


 Flatten the ball of dough with a spatula that is covered in flour against the counter that is also covered in flour. This dough is very sticky and if you don't have enough flour, you won't have much success.



 Place cookies onto a baking sheet and bake for eight minutes at 350 Degrees Celsius.

  Lay the cookies out and find something to do while they cool. In my case, I fed my baby spaghetti and wow- what a mess.


Mix the icing ingredients altogether and ice the cookies with a butter knife. Immediately add the sprinkles while the icing is wet.


 Yes, those are swimming goggles and a tooth brush on my kitchen table. The joys and randomness that is my life!


 It may be a little late in the game to be baking for Christmas- but hey- you just never know. This is a nice little recipe to show off to your in-laws to show that you really do have a domestic side...

 Do you have any go- to baking recipes that you are proud to show off!?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

They look delicious! xx

Anonymous said...

Haley, you know I love a good baking post. These look awesome. Annnnd I love how honest your photo is with the toothbrush. It proves that you can be a busy lady and still make christmas goodies. Happy Holidays and safe travels friend!

Haley said...

Thanks Megan!! Merry merry and enjoy your holiday season as well!!

Noor Unnahar said...

They look awesome , I bet they taste so too =) haha Alina looks so cute , perhaps she loves spaghetti much?