Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Student In Pajamas

 Okay, so I'm a little late in the game to be 'going back' to school. Last weekend was my ten year high school reunion in my hometown. I missed it. That's okay and totally besides the point... It's my ten year reunion and I'm finally getting an education to further myself in life! Talk about a late beginner!

 So last Monday was my first official day of 'school.' It's funny because I'm taking online courses through Selkirk College and I feel like such a kid all over again. Monday evening I was in a tank top, with a pair of over sized pajama pants on, ready to start my courses. Rob said, "Oh, is that what you're wearing for your first day of school?" Technically it was my first day of school and yes, that was what I was wearing. Online courses are kind of awesome for that. I'm in the comfort of my home, in charge of what I'm learning when and where and for how long. It's kind of awesome. The not so awesome bit is the constant feeling of anxiety. I'm consumed with worry and doubt in myself. I fear that I won't have enough time to learn the material, I worry that I won't retain enough of the information in front of me and then there a zillion other little things to be concerned with. But, that's not the point. The point is that I'm finally bettering myself with an education. I always dreamed of going to school, sharing a dorm room with a roommate, having my college friends and of course, the best part would be having the education and great career afterward.

If I had a student i.d. this would be it. Just saying..
 So I'm taking Pharmacology and Management of Drug Distribution Systems this fall semester. Then in January I will be doing Product Prep and Professional Practice. By April I should be finished my courses but then in April there's the Evaluation Exam followed by the Qualifying Exam in September. Then, dun dun dun... the Jurisprudence Exam in November of 2015. All three of those exams are pretty heavy and incredibly stressful. So much so, that I don't want to talk about it anymore...

 I'm finally doing what I always wanted to do. It's not exactly what my 12 year old self imagined; the dorm room, frat parties and big classroom settings. But, it is what my current situation will accommodate, so I can't complain. I still get to see Alina after work for my three hours before she goes to bed. Then I do my school work for two hours. On mornings that I don't run (we got a treadmill- yahoo!) I get up at 6 and read for an hour before I shower for the day. The mornings I run, I wake up at 5:30 and run then read for an hour. All in all; I get about three hours of course work in my day. I'm hoping that this will be enough. The weekends help me out with review and getting anything I need done, done! I go over my course material in both classes and then I physcially write out my notes. So far it's been very helpful.

 So- if I'm absent, the reason is school and that I'm being stretched into too many directions. I have to go by priorities and Alina, Rob, work, sanity and then sadly, blogging comes in close to the bottom of my list!

 Don't worry, with my mind preoccupied Alina has learned a few simple things to help us out around the house. She's pretty smart...

She drives herself to daycare now. She's a quick learner.

7 comments:

Noor Unnahar said...

Oh myyyyy Haley you just got started!! Good luck , it's going to be crazyyyy. Haha I am so proud of Alina. She's really a great learner.

Amanda said...

Ahh!!! How exciting! My predictions are that you will do absolutely brilliantly in everything! xx

Unknown said...

Ahhhh yay for going back to school! Your school ID is wayyyy better than mine ever looked! Gahhhh no post is complete without an Alina pic, she's so cute!! Good luck with courses Mama!

Tabitha Lee said...

Love the pic! Good luck with your studies. I'm totally rooting for you. :)

Jade Wright said...

I am so super stoked for you Haley!! Sounds like really beneficial courses and your 'I.D' photo really portrays how happy you are about it all!!

Good luck with your courses - I'm sure you will nail them!! xxxxxxx

www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

Heather @ The Maritime Reader said...

Good luck Haley! You are superwoman! :) Love your first day of school outfit too ;)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, Haley, I am SO happy for you! I am also pushing hard to finish my degree so I know all about being a golden oldie on campus. Like with everything you write, I found myself relating so much. Missing out on the traditional college experience and my life ending up quite a bit different than I imagined when I was younger, but happy with how things ended up and oh so grateful to be able to get an education. And for this last year, I'm actually determined to make my own college experience. Do they call us "nontraditional students" in Canada? Good luck this semester. So are you going to be a pharmacist?